Wednesday 3 April 2013

Moving slowly


So it turns out I’m a member of the slow blogging movement. My membership is not official. There is no register (that I’m aware of), no selection process and no rigid criteria. So, technically, I suppose I might not actually be a member but since I learned of the movement’s existence I’ve decided to embrace it and, until I receive official correspondence advising me to the contrary, I’m declaring myself on board. Slow blogging simply means posting less often; once a week rather than twice a day.  The idea is quality over quantity and whilst I can’t make any claims to the former, I can to the latter. Slow? Very.  

Before I finished work to have Miss L I figured I’d be posting here a few times a week. That’s how often I did when I started and I assumed I’d pick up where I left off. I assumed wrong. I had overlooked the fact that whilst I wouldn’t be working in the sense of going to an office four times a week, I would still be working in the sense of looking after a toddler and a baby. In fairness neither scenario lends itself particularly well to oodles of spare time. Funny that! Even with Miss I in childcare a few days a week, free time to blog hardly abounds. Try as I might, between drop offs, Miss L’s naps and life, once a week is the most I can manage. And that’s fine because I’m not a news site, I’m a slow blogger!!

The slow blogging movement borrowed its name from the slow food movement which encourages people to eschew fast and frantic for leisure and long in the preparation of their meals. Frankly I think there is room for both. In the bloggosphere and the dining table. There are times when a quick dinner is the only thing but equally when time allows there is plenty to be said for slow cooking. And when that involves a lamb leg covered in sumac, sitting in a shallow bath of white wine in the oven at 150 degrees for five hours, the result is mouth-wateringly good. Perfection even. I know this because my sister made it this weekend and it was heaven.

So lovely was the whole weekend in fact that I didn’t touch my computer or even give it a second thought. The upside was that I had a nap everyday. This was partly because I could but also because my beloved Miss I, who has slept predictably well without drama since she was about 6 months old, had a few horrific nights. That bit wasn’t fun at all but the napping, the relaxing and the eating in between was. Oh boy the eating was good*. The downside was I didn’t write a blog which is why today you are stuck with my random ramblings about being a slow blogger instead of one of those intellectually challenging and insightful pieces I usually post. You know about photo frames and the like? Ha!

What did you get up to over Easter?

*Turns out my sister, my Mum and I all had the same idea for the Easter break; baking. Between us we made and devoured; Donna Hay’s white chocolate and macadamia biscuits, the Monday Morning Cooking Club’s Easter Chocolate Cake, Le Pain Quotidien’s baked cheesecake, Anneka Manning’s Date Crumble Slice, Rocky Road and the piece de resistance? Margaret Fulton’s Sticky Orange Buns from her original cookbook that was gifted to my mum on her 21st birthday. Margaret, on the strength of these buns alone, you are the very best cook this country has ever bestowed on this world. End. Of. Story.   

No comments: