Wednesday 20 June 2012

Friends with extraordinary benefits


I have something of a milestone birthday this week. It is my third ever birthday with a '0' on the end. I am firmly in the camp of acknowledging, enjoying and celebrating birthdays. I like cake quite a lot and consider my birthday one of the best annual occasions to indulge. I know lots of people prefer to let birthdays pass without fuss and others who dislike the opportunity they present to assess another year gone by. 


As you know I don't restrict myself to birthdays to review – often critically – where I'm at, and I suppose one upside of this arrangement is that I tend not to beat myself up on my birthday. Instead I choose to eat cake. Which I intend to do this year with appropriate gusto.


As the day has approached I have been thinking about the first three decades of my life quite a bit and something stood out among my thoughts that I wanted to touch on. I have one very minor regret about my wedding day a couple of years ago. I chose to speak on that occasion and there was one sentiment I didn't express to a group of people in the room that I wish I had. As it's something I think and feel often, I thought I'd use the excuse of this birthday to share it.


I'm no artist but if I imagine my life as a picture, without a particular cluster of people, it would still make a perfectly lovely drawing. But with the inclusion of this cluster the picture is infinitely brighter, more vivid and more alive. Those responsible for so much colour and joy are the people whom I'm lucky enough to count as my friends. To whom I am indebted and grateful for everything they have added to my thirty years. 


They are mostly women, some whom I've known for almost two decades and others far less. Together they are the brightest bunch of people I know; they are all kinds of smart, funny, kind and driven. Some I see often and many, because of distance, I don't see nearly enough. But their effect is the same. They have provided my life with so much more fun, laughter and enjoyment than I could ever have mustered on my own.


Over the years there has been plenty of support, advice, counsel and conversation but invariably when I think of the girls I count as close friends, it is the laughter I remember and treasure the most. I actually wrote in my very first blog post that I consider female friendship to be one of life's blessings. To the lovely girls who have extended their friendship in my direction over the years and made me recognise it as a source of real joy, thank you!! Please know how much I adore, admire and appreciate you. Sadly, I won't have you all in a room anytime soon but rest assured when I eat cake tomorrow you will be in my thoughts.


I have two questions today. How do you approach birthdays? And, or, who do you appreciate in your life that might not know it?

6 comments:

Cath said...

G - I find this blog so close to heart!

I asked my dad last week while we were out to dinner what he thought was the key to happiness in his years. He told me easily that it was family & friends. Confirming exactly what I thought he might say.

I am every day grateful for my (and your) beautiful group of girls - who have been witnesses & supports at every corner and milestone in my life.

Just wish we could celebrate this one together - will miss you so much this weekend!!!

Thinking of you though, always!!

Redgate Consulting said...

I know I am biased but know you also have added amazing amounts of colour and texture to the life paintings of all those who have had you in their life too.

Joyce said...

Hear hear! One of my few regrets in life is not speaking at my wedding at all.

I don't think I realised at the time that it's really the one opportunity in life where everyone you love, from near and far, is in the one room (or under the one tent!)

There's a lot I could have and should have said, but I've taken every opportunity since to tell them in person one by one, and that feels just as good.

Thanks for the beautiful post. Right back atchya!

Harry said...

Ditto to all the above posts. Having you in my life as a dear friend for the past 15 years has been simply awesome! We have shared the most incredible moments and I have always felt your kind support during those tough patches. I feel blessed to have you in my life and I know so many who feel the same. Have a wonderful birthday xx

Sam said...

Happy birthday, G! This is a very sweet post and definitely one worthy of my first comment on your blog (or any blog for that matter).
I, like you, am blessed to have made and retained a group of amazing girlfriends (including you!). My girlfriends and I in Melbourne always make an effort to celebrate birthdays with a bang, and cake is ALWAYS involved. The rest are spread across Australia so I don't see many of them nearly enough - you are a case in point - but you know it's a special friendship when we don't miss a beat when we see each other. I hope that they know how much they mean to me but perhaps I should take a leaf out of your book and remind them!
I'll start with you - you are a very special person and I'm honoured that you count me as your friend. It gives me a lot of joy to know that you have the happy marriage, beautiful (and growing!) family and satisfying career that you deserve. I was actually looking back at some funny photos of you with some delicious [stolen] birthday cake in Brazil not so long ago! Thanks for the memories, and I hope there are more to come.
Have a great day. What amazing things you have in store for your thirtieth year!
Love, Sam xoxo

Anonymous said...

You are a very special person and I m the luckiest man in the world to call you my best friend.