Tuesday 18 June 2013

What frogs eat

I have learned many things since becoming a parent. I have learned how to feed, swaddle and burp a newborn. I have learned that self-settling is a vital skill to impart upon an infant no matter how painstaking it is for the parents. I have learned that if there are plans in the afternoon, a child will invariably sleep longer than usual. I have learned that just as reliably the same children will cut their naps short if the diary is empty. I have learned how to collapse multiple models of prams with one hand and how to assemble, and disassemble, a travel cot in under a minute. I’ve also come to learn just how much I don’t know. Actually it’s something of a recurring lesson at the moment as I attempt to answer Miss I’s endless stream of questions.

Some, of course, are easy to answer.

“What I having my dinner Mummy?” Ravioli. (At least that’s the answer often enough.) 

“Why you stop driving Mummy?” Because it’s a red light and cars have to stop at red lights.

“Why?” Because that’s the rule.

“Why rules?” Well the rules keep everyone safe. (Best not get bogged down in detail?)

“Why you driving now Mummy?” Because it’s a green light and cars have to drive at green lights.

“Why?” Rules.  

“Why rules?” Are you getting bored now???

Then there are questions which I’m quite comfortable not knowing the answer to.

“Where the postman live?” I’m not sure exactly where his home is but I’m pretty sure he doesn’t want us to know. (Although, come to think of it, he quite clearly knows where we live. Again best to avoid details?)

“Where my teacher Anna live?” Same as above.

“Why Daddy a boy Mummy? He just is.

“What you having dinner Mummy?” Whatever our butler prepares.

“Who our butler?” A happy figment of Mummy’s imagination.

“What magination Mummy?” (Schoolgirl error. I walked right into that.) Would you like ravioli for dinner?    

The questions that trouble me though are the ones I think I ought reasonably know the answers to.

“Why the sky blue?” Errr, something to do with light and reflection.

“What frogs eat?” Errrr, lillipads?? (I’m really not sure).
 
“Where the butterflies sleep?” In the trees. (At least I think so??)

“What’s that?” Your shadow.

"What a shadow?" Errr, light and reflection again. Would you like ravioli for dinner?

“Why Lulu crying Mummy? Hmmm...

“Why the trees no leaves?” Well it’s winter and some trees lose their leaves during winter.

“Why?” Well, you see, when it gets cold...would you like a cupcake?

The problem, as I currently see it, is that her questions, and eventually Miss L’s, are only going to get harder. I'm not going to know the answers and ravioli might not always distract them effectively. (Though I imagine cupcakes always will.) I will be able to easily guide them through reading and basic maths. I will be able to talk them through government policy on childcare, explain why their father is a feminist, why I think sport matters and why keeping windows open does not let the heat in. I might never be able to explain why I wasn’t invited to the Royal wedding but I will be able to describe the wedding in fantastic detail. Should they accept it I have plenty of knowledge to impart; from my parenting philosophies to dealing with the dishwasher to massive generalisations on the basis of gender. So there’s a bit I think I can add. But. Notwithstanding my profound wisdom sound knowledge base I fear there is much more that I cannot explain than I can.

My grasp on the intricacies of the animal kingdom is tenuous. At best. I’m not particularly well informed about basic biology or weather patterns. I don’t know how planes fly or cars drive or how electricity works. I know nothing about plumbing or drains or town planning. I can’t build or renovate or even paint. There’s heaps of stuff I just don’t know. So I’m curious; how will our girls overcome the limits of my knowledge?

Of course there are other people who can teach them. Their dad, Mr G, for example is particularly practical and well versed in subjects I am not. Between us we cover some ground but Mr G isn’t always here. So when the questions come through about the Boer war or why towns were settled at the base of hills or why the tv isn’t working, chances are they’ll be stuck with me. And I won’t know the answer. And if it's the tv question Mr G won't know either.

School, of course, will help but that’s at least two years away. I can only imagine how many questions I will field before then and, knowing Miss I, I’m doubtful “Why don’t you wait til you get to school?” will cut it. It’s another reason I think children need as much exposure to a village of people (preferably with differing areas of expertise) as possible. Broaden the net and just hope that when the tricky questions come they’re posed to the right person. On that note does anyone want to volunteer to be a friend on the phone? Just nominate a category of knowledge and I’ll keep you on file. By all means put me on your own file. I'm available for questions on: royalty, childcare and rocky road. 

5 comments:

Erin said...

I've just completed a primary science unit - you can ask me! Haha.
I actually think it's a GOOD thing to teach children that 'not even adults know everything'. During my prac placement, I noticed that my supervising teacher admitted she didn't know the answer to a couple of questions about rainforests (nor did I!), so we looked for one answer in the dictionary, and the other on the Internet. I'd always encourage books over the Internet, but I can't imagine you've got many encyclopaedias lying around! It gives children the skills to be resourceful, but it also reinforces the point that it's OK not to be perfect and know everything. Both important life skills IMHO. X

Emma Hancock said...

Om my - you had me really laughing at the computer and now my boss knows I am not answering his question of 'why have you not done that short list'!? Perhaps if we ask Miss I that, she will know the answer?!
I used to ask my parents so many questions and now I know they certainly didn't know the answer - they always told me 'look it up in the encyclopaedia darling" ("What's that Mummy!!"), AKA they had no idea!
Happy Wednesday x

Joyce said...

I'm all yours for the following topics: celebrity births, deaths and marriages (and general hook ups, but I'll leave you to explain that one to Miss I), muffin flavours, and household budgets (boring, but vital if she ends up with a bloke who thinks spreadsheets go over the couch and Excel is an 80s punk band.)

Not Another Blogging Mother said...

Ah Joyce you crack me up. Funnily enough last night I was showing Mr G our detailed household budget on Excel....after walking him through various components he said "Yeah I'd really like to get that bit (income) up a bit more". Ah yes! Him and me both!!

GGPA said...

I was very interested to read of your problem with Miss I 's thirst for knowledge. As I was responsible for all of the very important decisions in our family, such as when we should declare war on China and who should play five eighth for the Wallabies, it was left to your Nanny to satisfy the hunger for knowledge of our girls. She had a proclivity to throw last weeks Women's Weekly into the cot or bed where they could at least look at the pictures and thereby expand their perception of important matters. This led to later affinity with aforementioned encyclopaedia and other fountains of knowledge and you have personal knowledge of the effectiveness of her plan! You should consider putting Miss I to bed with an iPad with voice recognition, set to safari and she could chat away and ask questions which would be answered?