Thursday 2 August 2012

A woman in battle


Look I’m not proud but it happened. I had a few cross words with a cab driver this week. I’m not generally in the habit of flying off the handle at strangers – or even people I know – but this driver got me. I didn’t swear or raise my voice but I did express my doubts in his suitability for the position quite clearly. I work just outside the CBD and often have to catch cabs to get to interviews or meetings in the heart of the city. I always have the address and usually have some familiarity for the vicinity in which I’m headed. But. I really like being able to hop in, pass on said address to the driver and then relax, or frantically prepare for the meeting, depending on the day. Is that too much to expect?

This particular driver was the fourth in two weeks who said I would need to direct him from my office building to my designated address, turn by turn, light by light. One driver explained his navigation system did not work because of the buildings in the city which, frankly, I found a little hard to believe. Another said from the outset that he “Just doesn’t know George Street” whilst another admitted he didn’t know how to use the GPS. And then there was the one who waited ten minutes to confess he had no idea where he was or where we needed to go. So, on Tuesday, when the cab driver appointed me his chief navigator my patience waned. I did not find his suggestion endearing. This exchange ensued.

Me: Would you mind using your GPS?   
Driver: It doesn’t work.
Me: Could you please try?
Driver: It won’t recognise the street.
Me: It’s Martin Place.  It’s a pretty central Sydney address.
Driver: No it won’t work.
Me: Can you please just type it in and see?
Driver: No. You direct me. You can look it up on your phone.
Me: Yes I realise that. That’s what I was hoping to avoid.
Driver: I can’t understand you.
Me: Of course you can.

What followed was a short monologue in which I, ah, articulated my perspective. Unsurprisingly my monologue was followed by silence. I suspect he could understand me but, probably wisely, he chose not to let on. I don’t expect cab drivers to know every street in every suburb but is it too much to expect them to be able to use their GPS when they don’t???

On a more cheerful note, my dear readers, I have good news. Last week there was a big win for the little people. I can honestly put my hand on my heart and say justice was done in a tiny room in the NSW Consumer Trader & Tenancy Tribunal. We were up against our previous landlord who was seeking several hundreds of dollars from us for a fridge that he had left in the unit, instructed us to put under the stairs and then never picked up. It was recycled by the Body Corporate twelve months later and when he learned of this he sought compensation from us. We were quite incensed when he commenced the proceedings but for a fleeting moment contemplated giving in just to avoid the headache. Thankfully we persevered on principal as much as anything else.

And once the ball was rolling I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t looking forward to letting the lawyer, long hidden away inside me, out for a spin. I prepared our witness statements, compiled the evidence, created three copies of the document bundles as instructed and was generally ready for battle. It was something of an anti-climax when the landlord didn’t show up at the hearing. After sitting through a rather fascinating case before me, complete with police statements for break and enter, rent payment ceased and even a claim for assault, it was my turn to approach the bench. My moment of glory was brief but glorious all the same.

Sitting member: “So the landlord is seeking compensation for a fridge that belonged to him?”
Me: “Yes. You see when we moved in he asked us to store his fridge under the stairs…”
Sitting member: “Why would you have to look after his fridge?”
Me: “Well, that’s the crux of our position.”
Sitting member: “That’s ridiculous. I’ve just ordered he repay your bond with interest.”

Excellent. Even better my reward for pursuing the case is indulging in two of my favourites things: a Chinese massage and some rocklea road.  

Have you had any unfortunate run-ins lately? 

4 comments:

sallyatyamba said...

Does doing battle with the department of family & community services about the fate of four children count? Five phone calls. Three hours. No result. Sorry no frontline staff this week. All the managers are on holidays so all the frontline are acting up as managers. With no staff to manage. Well may we say suffer the little children.

Nicole said...

Well done dude! You should request the transcript from the CTTT and frame it at home!

CP said...

Well done Georgie! Two issues that are close to my heart: (1) fighting the good fight when you think you are in the right; and (2) establishing what is an acceptable level of geographical knowledge when one is a cab driver. I must say that Sydney is NOT winning on this front - even though London cab drivers can be curt, they know the streets like the back of their hands. Fabulous.

Redgate Consulting said...

Well done NABM-reminds me of one of my favourite mantras " What we permit, we promote"-the antidote is to speak up