Sunday 30 October 2011

Not another solo mother

It's been three months since I embarked on any major life changes so it's obviously time to turn things upside down. Having now settled back into life in Sydney it would be dull to meander on, enjoying this stability. Imagine how complacent I might become if I just continued to familiarise myself with my new life??

So it's extremely fortunate that the bigger powers that be have determined it's time for a fresh challenge to keep me on my toes. Actually it was a hospital board that laid down this contest, but that's apt in itself because hospital administrators are set to be the 'biggest powers that be' in my life for quite some time.

As of today Mr G is living in Wagga for a three-month rotation. This means he will be living five hours' drive away from our house. This means I will be single mothering in Sydney for a quarter of a whole year (which in real terms equates to several years*). This means I may go insane. 

Parenting can be testing at times even with the physical presence and support of another parent-in-crime. In the parenting arena I consider myself a strong team player and a terribly weak solo competitor. The wounds have only just healed from my first foray into single motherhood when Miss I was twelve weeks old and Mr G flew off to Russia for six years**.

Anyway. Instead of dwelling on all the disastrous ramifications of this arrangement, I thought it might be useful to turn my mind to the possible advantages. Except I tried that and there are none. At. All. I've spent weeks contemplating and have come up with nothing.

Briefly I thought this arrangement might guarantee the longevity of our marriage for at least ten eternities. After a few weeks doing the single mother thing, I doubted I would ever so much as argue with Mr G again lest he opts to up and leave. Of course, I then realised my efforts to be a totally agreeable and un-leavable wife would have little bearing on any hospital administrator plotting Mr G's next rural posting.

For now I will console myself in the knowledge that the calorific consequences of  ice-cream, chocolate and wine are nullified in the face of solo parenting. At least that's what I'm running with.  Have you got any better ideas?

*I've done some rough calculations and each week as a single parent, translates to approximately one month of dual parenting so I may as well be on my own for a few years.

**See above. Each day as a single parent to a three month old baby who refuses to sleep translates roughly to six months.

2 comments:

Alex said...

Hopefully your friends can keep you sane while the big man is off fixing people! :-)

Redgate Consulting said...

Take one day at a time
Count your many blessings
Ask for help
Remember it will end - eventually!