Tuesday 22 November 2011

Breaking in Brisbane


This weekend I had a short but, oh, so sweet break in beautiful Brisvegas. I was only away 27 hours but I managed to fit in a wedding celebration, a christening, a delicious brunch*, a spot of lipstick shopping**, several decent catch ups with treasured friends, a too-short catch up with my brother, cuddles with multiple adorable babies, a sleep-in and a comprehensive read of the weekend papers.

Travelling unencumbered by Miss I is nothing if not efficient. And, in my humble opinion, a totally deserved experience.

I very nearly missed my 10am flight on Saturday morning, which given the brevity of my trip would have been tragic. I was so excited to have Mr G back in residence, relishing the fact I had relinquished all parental responsibilities, that I totally lost track of time.

I was luxuriating in a long shower when Mr G asked what time I'd like to leave. I called out that a little bit before nine would be fine. Unfortunately it was already nine. And I still hadn't packed. Oops. Cue some frantic dressing and packing and we were off.

Thankfully we're close to the airport so I made it in time and without a stroller I breezed through without delay. I cursed myself for not leaving extra time purely because a spot of airport shopping would have been sublime. But alas! I'll summarise the rest of my break in highs and lows.

The highlights

 
-Sitting on a plane, without being responsible for anything other than my very small handbag. Reading, napping, thinking, listening to music. Bliss.

- Seeing several of my very best friends. There's little in the world as lovely as old friends and Brisbane - very generously - houses many of mine.

-Getting dressed up – leisurely - with one of the above-mentioned friends.

-Applying make-up without having to fend off a lovely pair of little hands from my bronzer, blush, lipgloss and mascara. With the added bonus of not needing to retrieve any of those items from the bin after the fact.

-Waking at 7am on Sunday, closing my eyes and falling back asleep til 8.

-Being collected from the airport by the two smiliest people in my life.

The lowlights
 
-Receiving a picture message featuring Mr G and Miss I thoroughly enjoying the hospitality in the Veuve Clicquot marquee at the Polo in the Park, which they just happened to stumble across. It's a little childish but I would have preferred a picture of them both covered in food, a few tears, with clothes, dishes and toys piled up in the background as if Cyclone Yasi had hit our apartment, with a message saying 'I don't know how you do this'.

-Misplacing my phone, frantically assigning the task of relocating it to Mr G – via my brother's phone - only to discover it was in my pocket all along. Actually that was probably the lowlight of Mr G's weekend.

-Very nearly missing my flight home because I spent too long chatting to my brother outside.

-Arriving home, realising the weekend was over but my typical weekend tasks – blogging, catching up with Mr G, getting work clothes organised, planning meals - remained outstanding. There's just never enough time these days.

How was your weekend?

*We went to Brewbakers in Albion which was delicious.

**I chose a very bright and cheerful fuschia shade Fire & Ice from Revlon.

2 comments:

Harry said...

Had a great weekend - one of my besties came to Brisbane! It was short but very sweet!

GGPA said...

Highlight of my w/e was receiving a photo of Mr.G smilingly handling Miss I and her cousin P - this now is wallpaper on my mobile. Knowing you were having a lovely time in Brissie made me very happy