Tuesday 10 January 2012

2012

So. 2012. Here we are! I hope you’re well, rested and ready to conquer the year?!? I will be just as soon as I transition from beach goer to work doer. I’m at the end of my Yamba holiday and am coming to terms with the fact that tomorrow I will resume urban life. I missed NABM but feel good for having abandoned technology for a few weeks. 

The really good news is it’s January. This means I only have two more weeks as a single mother and for about 30 seconds the slate is clean and the year my oyster to shape as I wish. By February I’ve usually conceded defeat on keeping the house impeccably tidy, my wardrobe neat and personal administration in perfect order. But even still, I like the first few weeks of the year where the possibility is there.

To kick off 2012 in the bloggosphere I thought I’d share a few things I learned this holiday.

Where there are children, there will be laughter. There will also be mess, tears, tantrums, squealing, testing bedtimes, missing hats and frazzled adults. Laughter and cold wine in the fridge are the ideal accompaniments.   

The beach is the best playground a child could hope for. Particularly if it has a kiosk with icy-poles. This is good because given the time it takes to get out the door in beach-ready fashion, the destination would want to be worth it. By "beach-ready fashion" I don't mean having a chic tote packed with a kaftan, a good book and cool drinks. I mean stroller laden with buckets, spades, towels, spare clothes and swim nappies. An oversized bag packed with suncream, dummies, wipes, nappies, snacks and water. Not to mention the children themselves covered up in acres of lycra, lathered in sunscreen, hat tied on with a dummy plugged in to help them recover from the gross indignity of having sunscreen applied and the sunscreen bottle then removed from their hands. Fortunately the beach is worth it. Every time.

Beach accommodation is bright. Convincing a 1.5 year old that despite the sunlight beaming through the (bare) windows, it is 8.30pm and waaay past bedtime, is hard. Fashioning black out blinds from placemats, table cloths, table runners and beach towels is ineffective and wildly frustrating. Black cardboard, blue-tack and stickytape will be packed for future holidays.

Grandparents are worth their weight in diamonds. And then some.

My toddler doesn’t enjoy drinks parties nearly as much as I do. 

Cousins and siblings are among life's greatest blessings. 

What did you do over the Christmas break? And did you pick up any special tips?

2 comments:

Aussiemum said...

Portable black out blinds are a must. I don't want to advertise the brand particularly, but haven't found a better alternative. We actually use ours every day at home or away... It's made by the company that also made a clock that has a sun or a moon depending on the time of day, and many sleeping bags... I don't think I've said too much then ;o)
The black out blind/curtain is a life saver!

Joyce said...

How good is the beach to wear them out! Miles of crawling terrain. Other valuable lessons I learned over our glorious 3 week beach holiday with family:

- No one likes the 'shhh' police.
- Take up any and all offers from doting grandparents to let bub have a 'sleep over' in their room. Although they will likely never offer again, that one night is so worth it.
- 5pm fish & chip dinners on the beach and hit the sack by 7:30. Heaven.
-New Years Eve will never be a rager with bub in tow. No matter how much good food, good wine and good friends, that flashing baby monitor is always a buzz kill!
- Don't return home from heavenly holiday on the day a heatwave hits. Not the ideal environment in which to reacquaint bub with his own room (sauna) or unpack 500 suitcases.

I hope we can merge our family beach holidays again in years to come!
x