Tuesday 5 August 2014

The unexpected lesson I learned from Instagram

“Remember, no one is happy as they seem on Facebook, as depressed as they seem on Twitter or as insufferable as they seem on Instagram.”

Those borrowed words of wisdom caught my eye a few weeks ago and made me laugh. They kind of hit the nail on the head, yes? I have written before about the fraud of Facebook but today the social media channel I want to discuss is Instagram.

I joined up less than a year ago; I resisted for some time before that because, well to be honest, I didn’t feel my life was pretty enough to take part. From the glimpses I’d caught Instagram, to me, seemed a forum for people with beautifully styled homes, impeccably-styled clothes, well-chiselled features and ridiculously well-honed photographic skills. Those categories count me out so for a while I assumed it wasn’t the place for me.  To clarify, this is not faux modesty; I have plenty of strengths and qualities but styling and photography aren’t among them. (And while things might be improving, well-chiselled I am not.)

But, after I noticed that a growing number of my friends and family seemed to be cavorting around this photographic forum I decided to join. (To be honest, the fact my grandfather had an active account brought me around pretty quickly.) So I jumped in and rather quickly became rather fond of Instagram in all of its gorgeous glory.

A few things became apparent. For a non-visual person I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the visual element. I live and breathe words – for pleasure and for work – so leaving that aside in favour of happy snaps feels a bit like a holiday. Scrolling through photos of dreamy bedrooms, idyllic views and memorable moments is totally different from scrolling through Twitter or Facebook.

A picture says so much and the beauty of it all is kind of mesmerising. My photographic skills haven’t evolved but I’ll tell you this - there’s a filter to fix just about everything. 

I also discovered that my initial assessment of photographs worthy of Instagram wasn’t entirely accurate. There are plenty of lust-worthy homes and fashions to be devoured but there is also much more. There are friends, families, holidays, food, funny moments, all captured and encased in flattering filters for you to follow and like. It’s another way to keep in contact with the goings-on in the lives of those you love. (And even the lives of people you don’t even know, let alone love, but find yourself inexplicably drawn to. Pixie Curtis anyone???)

Aside from the unexpected pleasure of stalking strangers’ photos, something else quite unexpected happened when I joined Instagram. My life didn’t change but I started to look at it differently. There are a lot of moments in my life that are not worthy of Instagram. For example, breakfast most mornings, my house at 5pm on any given day, our laundry, my car, inside the girls’ cupboards, inside my cupboards are just a few of the #ThingsNoOneWouldEverInstagram. But there is more to life (even my life!) than those dreary details.   

I started to notice that my life actually is dotted with pretty or memorable moments, and keeping my eyes out for them opened my mind to them. I won’t pretend that it changed my life (ha!) but it certainly did focus my mind on the simple every day pleasures. Who knew my life was filled with #ThingsWorthyofInstagram? A well-earned coffee, a cheeky grin, a glass of wine, a freshly made bed, a toddler wearing wedges, cousins congregating, a cake worth replicating, a celebratory bottle of “champagne” that turns out to be beer … these are the little details that help make everyday life that much more enjoyable.  


Hmm did someone say insufferable?? Maybe I should post a picture of my laundry. Are you on Instagram? Love it or loathe it?

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

So what is your Instagram name?