Tuesday 14 June 2011

The day of the Knights


Well you'd never guess what happened to me today. I spent the day at Windsor Castle, witnessing the incredible spectacle that is Garter Day, and afterwards charmed the Duchess of Cambridge so much that she has asked me to be her very first Lady-in-Waiting. We met, we clicked, she came right out and asked me to come on board. Perhaps it was my understated enthusiasm? Or my quiet wisdom?

Whatever the cause, as of next month I will be her Lady-in-Waiting and I will longer be tending to this beloved blog (protocol and etiquette apparently dictate a little more discretion from the staff than personal blogs allow). No, obviously, that's a big lie. I wouldn't desert all* my readers like that so I'm going to continue blogging while also serving the girl formerly known as Kate Middleton. My hunch is the new job might just garner some excellent material.

Of course none of this is true. There was no chance to strike up a Royal friendship (or job) but there was plenty to watch which I did from the best seat in the house. The day started well. We dropped Miss I off, we stopped for a coffee (which has happily returned to former standards), I read The Times and we then whizzed down to Windsor.

We were due to have lunch with our kind hosts at their house before making our way to the Castle. We arrived and saw an enormous Bentley blocking the driveway. My heart lurched. I thought 'Oh this is really happening. The Duke and Duchess are obviously inside, wanting a quiet moment to meet before the pageantry kicks off.' They weren't. But in fairness it was the biggest Bentley I've ever seen and just screamed regal.

After an entertaining lunch, a reminder of the English eccentricities at their very best, we weaved the grounds of Windsor Castle. I might not have made it to The Wedding but my goodness today I got the tiniest sense of what that might have been like.

Members of the press – photographers, television crews, presenters - were everywhere. Sections were cordoned off for various guests. There were military bands, guards and officers of the Blues and Royals in full ceremonial dress dotting the pathways. It was a colourful sea of top hats, fascinators, uniforms and morning suits set against the backdrop of St George's Chapel and the Castle itself. It was just incredible.

The day itself is an historic annual event, dating back to 1348 (explains why it's executed with such exquisite precision - they've obviously had time on their side to get the details right). The day marks the induction of new members to the Most Noble Order of the Garter – which is the highest order of chivalry or knighthood that can be bestowed on any individual from the Commonwealth. It is at the personal discretion of the Queen to admit members. In addition to members of the Royal Family there can only be 24 companions and officers of the Order at any one time. Margaret Thatcher, John Major, Sir Edmund Hillary, Lord Sainsbury and the most gentlemanly of all gentleman Lord Butler have shared this exceptional honour.

As a little aside, on becoming a Knight of the Garter you are kindly provided with a residence that is built into the Castle Wall which lines the path where all of this ceremony takes place. From where I was sitting those residences look pretty exceptional. They have little terraces gardens, where their extended families all seemed to be enjoying champagne and nibbles. Worth the work to get there.

But back to proceedings. Before taking our seats I roamed the walkway where the procession was due to take place. My eyes were peeled for faces I recognised – from television, the newspaper and most helpfully Hello!. When in doubt I just took a photo. I was beside myself. I expected someone to take me away and say it was all a dream.

The colour of your ticket determined your seat. White meant you were inside the Chapel, Blue meant general standing and Green was for the small grandstand where we were seated. Five metres from my vantage point was the Gaililee Porch where the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duchess of Cambridge were dropped off to watch the parade. FIVE metres. That's tantalisingly close. I could practically touch her hair. Not that I would have, that would be weird, but I practically could have.

Their car – a Rolls Royce – slowly pulled up and the crowds were clapping. Camilla stepped out first, followed by Catherine, they gave small waves and ducked under the small gazebo. They stood and laughed quite a bit with some friends. They spoke at length with a young couple who I am still quite upset with myself for not recognising.

The formal procession then began. There were trumpets, there was fanfare, there was pageantry, it was truly spectacular. My words can't really do that bit, or any of it really, justice. Then the Knights of the Garter – dressed in their robes - were walking passed us. They were followed by the Royal family members including Princes Charles and William and the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh. Merely metres away. It was something else.

Once they were passed us, they made their way into the chapel and the service began. More pageantry, more trumpets, more spectacle, lots of beautiful music. Again it was something else. But my dear readers there is a highlight. A reward for reading this far.

At the end of the service, members of the royal family hopped into open horse-drawn carriages to be taken back to the castle. They came back passed us again. I waved at the Queen to no avail but as the carriage carrying the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge came by, I smiled and waved. And guess what? The Duchess looked straight back at me, smiled and waved. This is not a figment of my imagination. Mr G saw it all and the lovely lady seated in front even turned to me and said "You lucky girl you got a smile. You probably won't ever forget that." She has no idea.

*Using 'all' in the sense of 'more than one'

2 comments:

Joyce said...

Mission accomplished!! There is really nothing left to be achieved in the UK now, you've done everything you set out to do and more! (Short of actually becoming besties with the royal couple...there's still a few weeks!)

Clarissa said...

Wow, what a day has to be a close third to your wedding day and the birth of Little Miss.