Tuesday 7 June 2011

Naming rights


I am married. Not a defining point of interest and if you've visited this blog before, or you know me, you know that already. So why am I telling you? Well, the man I am married to does not want to be named here. He's fine with being included but unwilling to be identified by name.

In real life (as distinct from my dream life where he and I attended The Wedding together) he's not a clandestine kind of guy but he has a pretty limited profile on the internet and he prefers it that way. I'm dismissing, of course, the possibility that he has a rampant online life I'm not aware of, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't. For one thing I highly doubt, in the nicest possible way, he would know where to begin.

So my husband with the limited internet profile is now, ironically, married to a girl who blogs about her life which, less ironically, overlaps significantly with his. You might think this would create some tension but surprisingly it doesn't. Or it hasn't yet. Except, that is, on the matter of his designation.

I hate writing "My husband" all the time. I think it sounds pretentious. Like I'm making a big deal about the fact I'm married. Or worse, that he is a person I refer (or, worse again, defer) to in capital letters, My Husband.

Now this wouldn't be a problem if I didn't mention him in my blogs or if he didn't read them because then I could just by-pass the matter entirely and call him what I like. Neither is possible as my life's not far reaching enough to garner material without his *secret* name popping up from time to time and he makes good suggestions when reading my drafts, which he does religiously, so there's no hiding from it.

So, what to call him? We've brainstormed possibilities without reaching consensus (translation being I suggest labels which he rejects immediately). I proposed The Student, which he disliked and in a few weeks' time will no longer be accurate. He probably would approve of being called Chief Editor or something of that ilk but I'm not putting that on the table.

I'm not mad on the usual blog monikers for spouses – Mr Not Another Blogging Mother is too long, DH denotes Darling Husband which strikes me as worse than My Husband, and I especially don't like My Other Half. The expression that is, fortunately, I really like the man we're talking about. I just don't know what to call him.

Any suggestions? Lovely readers who know precisely what his *name* is, I ask you kindly not mention it. If you do he might divorce me and that's a big weight to carry on your shoulders. Only kidding but it's his one proviso so be creative.

3 comments:

Joyce said...

In honour of my own personal obsession with Grey's Anatomy, and your husband's fitting medical career, I'd like to propose you refer to him as 'My McDreamy' or simply McD.

Pa said...

How about Issies Dad or just Atlas

Erin said...

Given he loves to refer to you as his sous chef, Editorial Assistant (or EA) seems appropriate. Other things that spring to mind include "Jesus" (I noticed the socks and sandals are still hanging around), or simply "MD", but that may make him think he is smarter than you, and we certainly don't want that!