Sunday 11 December 2011

A feeding rut


In the space of six months my world has changed in big and little ways. Relocating back to Sydney and starting work have been among the bigger changes whilst forgoing my beloved café in Oxford, for example, is one of the more minor adjustments. Though it's something I still miss terribly. Not because I can't track down a decent coffee here – quality caffeine abounds - but because there is no exact substitute for the friends and free time with which I frequented it. Once my domain, free time with friends is now a rarity.

But I've digressed, sorry! Somewhere in the middle of all that's changed, something has transpired that I wasn't expecting. I've developed a reluctance to cook. My love for food hasn't dwindled but my love for preparing it has vanished. This is unusual because although I'm no cordon bleur chef and wouldn't survive an audition on MasterChef Kids, cooking is one of my favourite pastimes. And this was especially true while we lived in England. Until I started blogging, cooking was as close to a hobby as I had in Oxford. Unless drinking coffee and discussing the Royal Wedding counts?

I loved picking out different meals, planning the week's menu, doing the shop and then preparing each of the dishes. I loved having friends over to try new dishes on. It never felt like a chore because I genuinely liked doing it. At this point you might be thinking I had too much time on my hands. Which is true. But as anyone with lots of free time will tell you, any diversion which provides enjoyment, entertainment AND nourishment, is the holy grail. So I indulged myself and counted cooking as my creative outlet. Mr G would have to wrangle with me to get the kitchen for even one night a week*.

A few beloved recipe books were on constant rotation on my bedside table for a nightly flip through. I had a subscription to Delicious. magazine which I treasured and devoured every month. I bookmarked foodie blogs which I visited often, as much for mid-week meal inspiration as entertaining. I remember thinking cooking was such a good thing to enjoy. Given the frequency at which mealtimes pop around I figured deriving more pleasure than punish from the task was positive. And clichéd as it is, feeding friends and family IS fulfilling and lovely. So I happily fed my family and friends and revelled in doing it.

Now? I don't even know who that crazy woman is. She's nowhere to be found. I'd rather eat the same dish six nights a week than venture anywhere near my pile of well-worn-and-now-forgotten cookbooks and experiment with a new recipe. Let alone compile a shopping list which requires additional research. Which is why I eat spaghetti bolognese as regularly as some people eat weetbix, because I know the ingredients off by heart**. As for feeding friends, I'm embarrassed to say that ordering takeaway has become de rigueur when we, um, 'entertain' friends.

I expected to lose interest in all things culinary when I had Miss I but, give or take the foggy first few weeks, I didn't. Cooking remained a passion. I dearly hope it returns soon. Because I have to admit spag bol is beginning to grate.

*It's only fair that I add that I now wrangle Mr G into the kitchen every weekend to prepare as many meals for the week as he possibly can in a few hours. 

**The other reason is spaghetti bolognese is freezes beautifully. Freezing meals requires less cooking and less washing up.

 

4 comments:

Meggsie said...

I cook 4 kg of mince into spag Bol. Kids love it and we have it at least once a week manly because I too cannot be arsed cooking any more. I have not recovered from 3 weeks away from the children 5 years ago when every meal was ordered from a menu.

Aussiemum said...

I've rediscovered baking, somehow that seems less of a chore than cooking one of the five meals I'm able to cook without a recipe. I suppose because it's not a necessity and I don't have to do it every day.
I'm glad there are more of us anti-cooks out there. Thanks god for freezer space!
I did make a vegitarian meatloaf the other day, that supposedly freezes well, but it never made it to the freezer.

Anonymous said...

Dear mini me,
What you are experiencing is TOTALLY NORMAL! Its called prioritisation....you now have so much going on that is more important! Looking after Miss I and getting to work and thinking about inspired pieces to write . Navigating the Sydney transport system alone with a toddler when it is bucketing down is enough to earn you a good lie down when you get to the office.DON'T THINK SO....
Like you, I once lived overseas for a year with SPARE time. Lack of a job, family and friends makes you become more creative about using your time.We were so poor that I too, embraced the SLOW food movement (before it was invented). Cooking the cheapest food for long times to render it edible became an absorbing pastime. GOSH ! I even mastered cross stitch and knitting.Now I can barely cast on let alone even finish a scarf for mini mini me's.
Don't worry ! Be proud that in your busy life you are EVEN getting the spag bol on the table. It's homemade with love on the weekends. Think of how many people have takeaway/freezer meals almost every night. Have a look at some supermarket trolleys (preferably not in Woollahra... suggest Broadway) you will be heartened.
Your culinary zeitgeist will return . Like your laptop it is in sleep mode whilst you address more important issues.
Successful women prioritise and look forward to the holidays ! Cookbooks at the ready !

GGPA said...

In my (extensive) experience I can tell you: it will come back. I have seen the great cooks in my family go through the same hiatus. Fortunately they had the men in their lives step up to the plate(Sandwich Toaster) to fill the gap whilst the mood passes.