Sunday 4 December 2011

A capsule of clothes


You know those glamorous spreads in glossy magazines that espouse the virtues of a capsule wardrobe? You buy a few classic pieces with a couple of up-to-date accessories to create a suite of versatile, chic and sophisticated looks that will take you from the office, to the cocktail bar, to the fashion show, to the country retreat and back to the office, effortlessly? Well, normally I read them and wonder whom, aside from the magazine's editor, has a life to match the clothes. Let alone the disposable income.

But earlier this year I actually bought myself a capsule wardrobe. And, I have to say, it ranks among my sartorial successes. It doesn't take me from glossy event to even-glossier event but it takes me from workday to workday with a combination of outfits, with ease, not too much ironing and – hopefully - a scintilla of style. As far as work wardrobes go, I think that's a solid accomplishment.

A combination of factors led me to my capsule. Most significantly I was offered a job and my work clothes of old no longer fit worked and, in any case, were sitting on a ship somewhere destined to reach Australia's shores by 2023. Familiar readers might recall I got news of my job while roaming Rome*. Joy. So after sharing some Prosecco with Mum over lunch, I set off down the Via de Corso in search of some work threads. Joy of joys of joys.

It was one of those halcyon shopping experiences. There were lots of things I loved. Everything I loved was available in my size. Everything fitted and – best of all – the garments were interchangeable. I inadvertently created a capsule. This is what I bought: navy cigarette pants, a cream blouse, a caramel and navy pencil skirt, a fitted navy blazer, a coral and navy striped top, a caramel cardigan, an emerald green silk dress, a navy belt, nude patent court shoes and a vibrant 'statement' necklace.

Being Europe (but not being Prada or Chanel) everything I loved was affordable. Truly. And, after four months on constant rotation, on a cost per wear basis, each garment is practically paying me. In fact, I might check my pockets. My work colleagues – if asked – could attest that I wear these clothes. Every. Single. Day.

It might have been beginner's luck but I'm now a capsule convert. I've got to hand it to those fashion bibles - they know a thing or two about shopping. That even mere mortals like me, without a life as glossy as their pages, can learn from. The only issue I now face is when on earth will I ever be back in Rome to replicate the success?

Are you a capsule shopper? Or more of a one-item-at-a-time type?

*Familiar readers may recall there was a brief time in my life when being in places like Rome, Barcelona and the south of France was a reasonable possibility. Current readers might find this hard to reconcile with my current life as a quasi-single mother. I am with them.

4 comments:

Lisa - Epstein News said...

Pics of the clothes please. :)

Jan Dent said...

The stars were aligned that wonderful day in Rome!Can I come with you again next time please?

Anonymous said...

not being a fashionista I had not even heard of a 'capsule wardrobe'.
Sounds like such a successful way to upgrade a tired wardrobe. How lovely that you could try it out in Rome with a mother daughter shopping expedition...not to mention the prosecco with lunch.

Anonymous said...

Dear mini me,
The country mouse actually invented the capsule wardrobe ahead of the city mice fashionistas ! Needing to efficiently use time and opportunity..the country mouse invented the Power Shop to curate a versatile integrated wardrobe when in the city.
The country mouses city friends were AMAZED that the country mouse could look so stylish and on trend. City mice have preconceptions !
Whilst the Power Shop at first felt extravagant it paid for itself in co-ordination and value per wear. It was done and dusted and very fun to take all those bags home (often on the plane to the envy of others!)
Soon the power shop and capsule wardrobe idea spread across the land and even to Rome.
A trend was born !