Friday 16 December 2011

High fives, a water bottle and buckets of gratitude


Today was Miss I's last day for the year at her Sydney nursery* and because it was only a half day we're already home and she is sleeping soundly while I type. Earlier in the week we took in little Christmas presents for each of her teachers and as I wrapped them and wrote on their cards I was struck by the fact my homemade rocky road** seemed rather inadequate. Yummy, yes. Indicative of my gratitude, no. How could it – or any other object – reflect my appreciation for the lovely, kind, patient, caring and fun women who entertain and look after our darling girl?

My gratitude swelled once again today as we bid them farewell for the break. "You must be looking forward to having some time off," I said to several. More than one replied "Yes but I'll miss the children so much." That may read like a flippant platitude but having watched them with Miss I and all her teeny peers for five months now, I know it's completely sincere. And it is touching beyond belief.

I can't imagine many jobs that would be as physically exhausting, mentally trying and emotionally draining as looking after a roomful of small children. Sometimes being there for ten minutes makes my head spin. Yet I've never got the impression they'd rather be anywhere else. I get the impression every time that we arrive that they're delighted to see Miss I. And at the end of the day when they give her high fives, kiss her little hands and say 'bye bye' as many times as she likes (generally five times to each) they seem sad to see her go.

Recently I replaced one of Miss I's water bottles, a minor detail, yet two of her teachers immediately noticed and exclaimed with delight because they know it's one of her favourite things. She beamed back at them and my heart melted.

I'd be lying if I said there haven't been moments where I've wondered if having Miss I in daycare in the city four days a week is the best thing for her. Usually when we're stuck in traffic on the bus at 5.45pm I conclude that it's not. But I'd also be lying if I said I ever spend my work days worrying about her. I genuinely don't. I see the smiles she gives them, I see the way they delight in her and I'm confident the arrangement is so much better than fine.

I blogged recently that being able to combine work with motherhood is a dream for me. A big part of that dream is possible because of six lovely teachers. And for that, I am so much more thankful to them than any quantity of rocky road could possibly convey. But it's a start.

What, or whom, are you thankful for at the moment?

*I say Sydney nursery because next week she is having an excursion with Mr G and will attend a nursery in Wagga for four days.

**Making rocky road wasn't entirely selfless. I thoroughly enjoyed taste-testing throughout production and may have kept a few bits for myself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true - the patience and care of nursery teachers continually amazes me.

Lovely post.

Erin said...

Love it! Can't wait to read about the adventures of Miss I and Mr G in Wagga!

Countrymouse said...

At the other end of the spectrum ! I am truly grateful to the carers at my mums aged care hostel. They have a true vocation and also show endless patience and affection for their aged charges.It's not that dissimilar to the care needed for littlies...a big thanks to those with the important vocation of caring for our young and old! They're GOLD !!
I hope Miss I's rural adventure with Mr G goes well for all !