Saturday 4 February 2012

How are you??


You know how sometimes you see a friend lots but you haven't asked them a question and been able to listen to the answer in full? It's quite common when the catch up involves little people but equally it happens in rooms full of big people. When you sit at the other end of the table from them at a dinner or see them at a busy party or the park but can't engage properly. You say hi but barely get past 'How are you?' before someone else joins in or a small person calls you away or the waiter takes the order? I know you'll know what I mean. At least I hope you do. Otherwise I might be the only rude person to whom this happens??

Anyway that's how I'm feeling about this blog. Like we're seeing each other once a week but we're not sitting down, pouring a vino or sipping a latte, and really getting in to the nitty gritty of our lives. We know the big things but not all the little details.

When I started this blog it unravelled in real time. If something interesting happened in my life on a Monday (highly improbable but bear with me) you were likely to read about it on Tuesday. It's not that I blogged every day but I wrote frequently enough that if we were friends In Real Life and we caught up and you had read my blog (which no friend IRL is obligated to do*) theoretically we wouldn't need to discuss what I'd been up to. We could get straight into more interesting things. Like what you've been up to.

Now, as much as a month passes between time of writing and time of publishing. So even friends who read my blog are required, theoretically at least, to enquire about my life. Of course this time lag doesn't really matter. There is no one policing it and now that I think about it, there is no one madly pestering me to write more. Except, err, me.

I still remember – and miss - the time when my blog lived in the moment. I liked that I could write in anticipation about a thrilling event and follow it up with a comprehensive debrief a few days later. Yes, there were only two truly thrilling events to which this applied, but still. (You can read about them here and here).

I mention this because a few things have happened in the last few months (yes, months!!) that would once have provide plentiful fodder for posts but instead sit unwritten in my head. And where's the fun in that?? I could have devoted some holiday time to writing them but I declared myself a technology-free-zone. So. To get you up to speed I'll list a few notable happenings. By notable, I don't mean world affairs or anything life changing. I mean notable in terms of a blog that is comprised of the everyday details. (For world affairs I'd recommend a news site like SMH.com.au or ABC.com.au)
- I went on an overnight trip for work. I stayed at a hotel. By myself!
- Mr G had Miss I in Wagga for a week. A guest post from the man himself may eventuate soon. (More likely, you will hear how this unfolded from my perspective.)
- Miss I spent a weekend with my parents. Mr G and I went to the beach in the middle of the day without an umbrella!
- Miss I spent 4 days in the care of my parents whilst Mr G and I gallivanted around the Southern Highlands. By gallivant, I mean slept in, enjoyed uninterrupted coffees, played tennis, watched movies and enjoyed (truly!) a few long drives.
- We had dinner with some English friends who actually *know* my favourite Royals. Truly!
- I had a meltdown at work when researching a story with some pertinent application to my life.

I feel like I'm missing some other things but that's enough about me. More importantly how are you??? What big or little things have happened since we last caught up here???

*Of course I favour those who do but it's not mandatory. It's only mandatory, and strictly so, for blood relations.

3 comments:

Aussiemum said...

I don't think I've ever commented before, but have been following your blog for quite a while now, after being recommended via Mamamia.

I'm good thanks! I'm five weeks pregnant, which is still puzzling me, as I don't feel pregnant yet. And I'm dreading getting to the stage where I definitely know, but noone around me know yet, yes, I'm talking about pregnancy sickness :o(

That's my biggest news, thanks for continually sharing yours

Not Another Blogging Mother said...

Congratulations Aussiemum! That's so exciting.... but also nauseating at the same time. I hope these weeks fly by for you. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Georgie

Anonymous said...

love the structure of this blog; long discussion on how there isn't enough time to talk, then finishing off in a rush with lots of juicy sounding comments on events in your life, which if you had enough time, you'd fill us in on! lol

reminds me of a conversation I was having with a friend who said she was leaving her husband, then broke off to collect toddler after a fall off a monkey bar (or some such evil piece of playground equipment) leaving me aghast at her casual manner. after the small drama was dealt with she continued her conversation: seems she was leaving her husband to look after their daughter while she went down the coast to visit a friend!

By the way, I'm fine thanks, but I REALLY want to hear about K&W!