Sunday 1 May 2011

What a day


I entertained the idea of not writing about it briefly before deciding that was irreconcilable with my well documented fixation. At the risk of overkill, I'll share my thoughts on The Wedding.

Partly I'm doing this to alleviate the sinking feeling inside my heart. I thought I felt dejected when I wasn't invited. That was nothing compared to the melancholy (and envy) which flooded through my bones last night as I realised that for me, it was over.

Not so for the Duke and (divine) Duchess of Cambridge and their closest friends and family, who had the final - and likely - most fabulous part of their celebration ahead. As that dark car whizzed the wedded pair from Clarence House to Buckingham Palace, I conceded defeat. I could watch the coverage no longer. The day was done.

Any event attracting this much hype, or in my case mania, runs the real risk of disappointing. Not so the Royal Wedding 2011. I thought it was heaven.

I loved the Abbey lined with trees, I loved the brothers in their uniforms visibly nerved, I loved the outfits, I loved watching the guests arrive, I loved the proud families, I loved Harry's face throughout but especially when he caught a glimpse of the bride (and no doubt bridesmaid).

I loved the smiles shared between Kate and her father, and later with William. I loved when the Prince told Kate 'you look beautiful'. I loved how relaxed they all seemed. I loved the balcony – the kisses, the smiles, the Duke of Edinburgh no doubt telling Pippa inappropriate jokes.

I absolutely loved Kate's dress, but most of all, I loved that gorgeous drive in the vintage car.

The depth, breadth, and sheer number of my thoughts on yesterday are seriously inhibiting my ability to form a sentence at the moment, let alone a coherent post, so I'll go with bullet points.

The Dress(es)

Divine. Absolutely divine. Initially I wasn't as enamoured with it as I became. I wasn't sure about the high neck with the hair out. I thought it looked a little busy but the more I watched, the more I loved. It suited her so beautifully.

I love the dress more every time I see it. She looked exquisite.(I shouldn't gloat but I was also thrilled my prediction of a Sarah Burton structured gown proved right).

The second gown hasn't garnered nearly enough air time for my liking. From the limited shots available, it was rather gorgeous. I love the shape and the details, especially the angora bolero.

She once again looked stunningly beautiful but I will say that given the modesty of The Dress I think she could have opted for something less traditional for her second dress of the day.

The maid of honour

The tan was a little excessive but my god what a stunner. And what a gorgeous gown. It was so simple yet incredibly striking.

I loved it and I loved even more what it said about Kate. She was obviously utterly comfortable - on her own most visible of days - sending her sister down the aisle in such splendour.

Pippa is understandably the most eligible girl in London right now and failing her and Harry ceding to popular demand and becoming an item, I would be overjoyed if my younger brother was to sweep her off her feet. Somehow I suspect he'd be overjoyed too.

Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie
These sisters really ought to consider employing a stylist. I cannot fathom why they haven't done so already. It seems such a shame in a world filled with so many wonderful clothes, talented makeup artists and clever stylists for anyone to be dressed quite that disastrously.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

I really wish they'd gone for Oxford. I'd feel an even greater affinity with the royal pair than I already do.

Romance

Today I read in The Times that 'it is more romantic to stay in love than to fall in love'. And that, my lovely readers, is why I found the royal wedding so moving and uplifting. This is not a pair marrying for convenience or necessity. It's not a couple swept up in fleeting love. It's a duo who have already enjoyed and endured eight years' together. And that is why watching their obvious love and affection for one another was truly romantic.

2 comments:

Belinda said...

Well said G. I second the idea of Pippa & Christoph too.
I'm happy it's over though. Was getting a little sick of the morning shows trawling England for oldies living in houses heaving with royal memorabilia.

GGPA said...

Brilliant G I did send you email expressing a wish you were with me to supply details as we watched.
However i did enjoy the spectacle and agree with all your comments.