Wednesday 18 May 2011

Of Mice and Men


I like those moments where it feels – in some weird way, in some small way - like the universe is talking to me. A while back this happened when twice in as many weeks, I clicked on Sarah Wilson's blog to discover her latest post was dissecting a topic which was - in that moment – the most pressing thing on my mind. Both were innocuous but I found them strangely cathartic.

The first was about starting a blog which I read the day after starting this. It was reassuring. The post and its comments were very encouraging to both newcomers and old hats in the bloggosphere. All about just diving in and figuring it out along the way. It gave me a boost and I've clicked back a few times to reread different pieces of advice her readers shared.

The second was about Apple guru Steve Jobs and his mantra to trust where life takes you. His theory is that when you're looking forward it's not always possible to see your path but eventually when you look back you will see where all the dots connect your life. He says to trust whatever happens. I absolutely relate to that but I do think it can be difficult to implement when you're looking forward and are not sure exactly what to do. Even still.

The post resonated because just the day before we had received news about our plans for moving back home. Instead of moving to Brisbane we will be moving back to Sydney. It wasn't bad news, it was just different to what we'd been expecting. Initially I felt a bit lost, the way you do when you think you know where you're heading only to discover it's not that simple.

With that whizzing around my head stumbling upon Jobs' advice felt comfortingly timely. A reminder that plans do go awry and that it need not be a bad thing.

This was largely out of our control – in truth we could have ended up anywhere - as we were at the whim of an administrative body allocating positions. In some ways that's scary but looking at it through Jobs' eyes, it's also exciting. In a way this has been thrown at us. Who knows why or where it will lead but there's nothing to be lost by trusting it.

At least that's my position now. I'm with Jobs on this one. I'm looking forward, to looking back, to see where these dots connect. Somehow I doubt I'll be heading up a technological goldmine but you never know.

Do you ever think the universe is talking to you? Or am I stranded alone on this one?

5 comments:

Erin said...

I don't care so much about Jobs, I'm excited you're coming back to Sydney! I can make your old room available, and Issy can sleep in the kitchen. Don't tell me you're over share house living just because you're married? Where is Nick posted? Good on you for being so positive.

PS I'm sensing Nick made the "calming" comment

CP said...

Dear Not-Another-Blogging-Mother,

I did find your post very calming! And not the euphemistic way you have suggested elsewhere - I think the idea that twists and turns are part of a larger, unknowable path very reassuring, and Jobs' metaphor of the connect-the-dots is perfect. And let's not forget that this image hints also at the individual agency that motivates us as well as external shifts and events - two people joining identical groups of dots may draw very different animals (as anyone who has sat in a kindergarten class will know!). It's all about how you see things...

Sally K said...

Loving these posts G - keep writing as I love reading your work. It's lovely to stay in touch with you and your life when you are far away.

Unknown said...

You know what I like about Jobs' comment? It's that he's telling you to trust yourself and the decisions that you make. It's like a variation of that old chestnut "things happen for a reason" (a phrase I've always disliked), but without taking agency away from you as the decision-maker. Because although the move to Sydney was not your decision, it was as a result of decisions the two of you have made, and what happens as a consequence will also be as a result of what you make of your new home. It's empowering. As is your blog. Nice work.

Not Another Blogging Mother said...

I have to say my lovely commenters seem especially articulate and insightful on this one. Not that i'm surprised but I love hearing what you think.

Juliet i agree that Steve's theory is a considered expansion on the old 'things happen for a reason' adage. We make decisions all the time as individuals and they do count.

I'm really glad I posted this one as it seems to have resonated with a few people. Thanks for commenting!