Wednesday 11 April 2012

Happy Blogday

Today marks my first birthday as a blogger. Cake all around! Twelve months ago I sat in the little student flat in Oxford that was then our home and, spurred on by a few friends, pressed publish. NABM was born. I was a stay at home mum to our ten month old daughter and at the time I wasn't sure how often, about what or for whom I would blog. But I started anyway. It quickly became a beloved outlet that I enjoyed more than I had ever imagined and I blogged a few times every week.

Now, I write less frequently from our more grown up, slightly bigger, apartment in Sydney. I'm a mum to a 22 month old girl and work four days a week. My life is a little different but a few things have remained the same. Writing this is one. As is the fact I can't imagine what I did without this spot to vent; to share; to quiet the whir of words inside my head.

Even without an audience I'd still enjoy writing. But I'd be lying if I didn't admit that my absolute favourite part of having this blog is the chance to interact with you, my lovely readers. My audience is very modest in size but I like to think what you lack in vast numbers you make up for in sharp characteristics – humour, sincerity, intellect and style. Wouldn't you agree???


I can vouch for some of you with certainty because I'm lucky enough to know you. But I extend the benefit of doubt to those readers who I don't know because I know you're out there (hi!) and I just assume you're fabulous too.

About a month ago, over the course of a week, I received some kind feedback from people I don't know and people I know but hadn't seen or spoken to for years. Through Facebook, my work email, Twitter and the comment section a couple of people got in touch. Their comments literally made me smile for a week. And, not for the first time, it made me wonder exactly who you are.

I'm stealing this idea from a MegaBlogger, Mrs Woog from WoogsWorld, because I saw it a few weeks back and immediately thought it would be a fun way to mark the BlogDay milestone. Mrs Woog asked her readers to 'de-lurk' – to come out and tell her who they are. Not by name and address obviously but something about themselves.

So, dear readers, my ears are pricked. I dare you to tell me something about yourself – what you do, where you live, whether you have kids, or a pet pig, how you found this blog, what makes you happy to be alive or anything else you feel like sharing. De-lurk away! And THANK YOU for reading.


 

19 comments:

JV Douglas said...

I lurk and comment and LOVE your blog Georgie - Happy Birthday!

Erin Condon said...

Happy Birthday from a reader who has read and enjoyed every single pos. Erin x

Erin Condon said...

Happy Birthday from a reader who has read and enjoyed every single post. Erin x

Joyce said...

Wow one year! Hooray and Happy Birthday!

Well, you probably know more about me than anyone in the world, so I can't share anything new with you, but for the benefit of your readers - Hi I'm Joyce! I have a nearly one year old baby boy and 2 dogs (no pigs). NABM is one of my favourite all time people and I love lurking on her incredible blog. I also plan to make my millions as her publicist when she's a published author.

Madeline Fowler said...

Happy Birthday, NABM! I've thoroughly enjoyed the first year of your blog and have found myself identifying with, relating to, and at times feeling a sense of relief from your thoughtful posts. It's an absolute pleasure to read. xox Maddy

Lisa - Epstein News said...

Happy Birthday. I saw your tweet about the cake and shopping. You should have got yourself a cake, too, to mark the occasion.
Random fact about moi - my blog's birthday is in May. Yay.

Mr G said...

Long time reader, first time commenter...I ve read and enjoyed every post (and all the comments). Miss I and Mr G wish NABM a happy first birthday! Continue the good work.

Em C said...

Happy Birthday NABM! I love reading blog!! I hope we can celebrate your real birthday as a joint celebration with Prince Will himself (Sydney or London I'm not fussed)! A little about me.. I'm currently meant to be working on a presentation but am procrastinating by enjoying your blog. I'm soon to relocate to Melbourne for a new job and can't wait. I'm also looking forward to a guest post from Mr G soon?!?

Redgate Consulting said...

Happy birthday NABM and congratulations. I have so enjoyed all the wonderful,inspiring,honest, funny, touching and eloquent stories you have told through the blog.I have read every.single.blog. ( see-I am copying some of your style!) and like Mr G -all the comments.I can't imagine what you don't already know about me but the wider NABM tribe might not know that I work as a leadership coach and trainer and love my job. I get the biggest kick out of seeing people flourish and thrive at work.

Nat T said...

Happy Birthday NABM! I look forward to reading your blog each week and can't wait for you to get that book out there. You write so wonderfully – so honest and often make me smile. A bit about me... I'm an old primary school friend who you showed how to play elastics the best way – on the trampoline, ruled the handball court with and looked forward to double dates in Pizza Hut. I now live in London (5 years on...) and work in design. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Nat xo

Redgate Consulting said...

forgot to mention to the NABM tribe-I am your mother

GGPA said...

Happy Birthday NABM - every time i get a message to say there are more great words to absorb, i am never too rushed to do other than
Much love to You, Mr G and Miss Iimmediately read your latest blog.
They are all so well constructed and reflect great credit on you. must be in the breeding!
Much love to you, Mr G and the delightful Miss I

Mother of a Man-Child said...

Congrats. Well done on reaching the 1 year birthday. I enjoy reading your blog, especially as a fellow blogger. I've been going two years now - and still enjoying it. But mine are a bit older than yours, with 16 year old twins and an eight year old daughter.

Cass W said...

Huge Congrats - NABM has provided me with something truly interesting to read during my 2am (4am, 6am etc etc) feeds with our new bub - Your writing style brings a smile and always gets me thinking... even at those wee hours which is quite a feat. Well done and thank you. I'll owe you a champers next time we cross paths down under. xox Cass from Canada (aka friend of your fabulous sister)

Lissy Annie said...

Happy 1st blogging birthday NABM! Your blog brings so much enjoyment to so many!
You are a beautiful gifted young woman endowed with a multitude of talents ! One of your greatest assets is your endearing remarkable sense of humour…and your ability to communicate that humour to your readers.
The Sun Herald magazine had an oversight last Sunday when they missed including you in their "blogging mothers".
Hmm…must write to them about that !
De-lurking ..always thought if we were the same era we would have been besties !
However, will make do with having you as my good friend.
Congratulations and keep up the GREAT work.
Lissy Annie

Anonymous said...

A belated Happy Birthday NABM! I also really enjoy reading your wonderful blog (even if not always straightaway) and like others, believe you have a gift which could take you to great heights.(I'm with Joyce on the publishing bit- you must do it!)
Your writing is so refreshing and inspirational. It is always honest, often hliarious, and so eloquent.So a big congratulations and keep up the fabulous work!
About me- I am an ex high schoolteacher, now really enjoying a quieter time in life when I even have time to read the morning paper AND tackle the crossword!

Not Another Blogging Mother said...

Well I have been bowled over by your kind words and blogday wishes. Thank you all for de-lurking! My enthusiasm for writing this hasn't waned but if it ever does I will quickly re-read your comments. I am genuinely touched by the lovely things you've said. Thank you again.
Georgie

Anonymous said...

Dear NABM,

Congratulations on a stellar debut year of blogging! I always look forward to reading your blog for two very different reasons: first, for the words of wisdom and thought peppered throughout your writing that routinely give me a 'thought for the day' to chew over; and second, because it gives me a taste of your day-to-day experiences that I was once so lucky to participate in when you lived just around the corner in Oxford. Just arrived back from Sydney last night and are missing my NABM family already.
P.S. I met the NABM family during our first year together in Oxford. I subsequently hung around the NABM house and invited myself over to enough dinners to be promoted to Miss I's godmother.

Anonymous said...

As with the commenter above (hello!!), I also met the NABM crew in Oxford. I was lucky enough to live about 100m from them for some of that time, amidst some beautiful gardens and 1960s architectural creations. I have many, many fond memories of dinners with the NABM household, often over a nice glass of Nepenthe sav blanc! At one of these dinners we endlessly debated an appropriate alias for Mr-NABM, and my claim-to-NABM-fame is that I suggested the winning entry of Mr G! I have read every NABM post and love them all. I miss our chats/coffees/dinners terribly, but this blog is the next best thing. So, keep writing Georgie (and I look forward to the book!). xx