Wednesday 9 January 2013

One hell of a holiday


Oh. Boy. I was expecting to rejoin you all in 2013 feeling rested, rejuvenated and ready to rock and roll. How wrong I was. If I’m honest, which I usually am, I am scrambling to believe it is in fact a new year. The past week or so steamrolled my little family and, now, as the dust is settling and the worst is thankfully over, I am absolutely knackered. So, I join you as a slightly broken woman, slightly disbelieving it is possible to feel like this after a holiday.

Where to begin? Shall we start at the lowest point of my recent holiday? I think so. It does a fine cameo as the lowest point of my life (in recent memory, at least) which is quite nice I suppose. It means we can only go upwards from here.

It was about 7pm on new year’s eve and I was sitting in Grafton hospital’s emergency department. Mr G had arrived by ambulance and was barely conscious. My dad sat beside me while we waited for the results from a CT scan that had just been taken of Mr G’s head. Dad and I were both recovering from the shock of seeing Mr G disintegrate before our eyes, not to mention the forty-five minute car ride during which Dad’s youngest granddaughter gave her eight-week old lungs a mighty workout. Frazzled already, I was now feeding Miss L whilst fielding a distressing phonecall with a distraught Miss I in the background. She was back in Yamba with my mum and sister and wanted to know why both her parents had suddenly disappeared. I was scared and the salt in the wound was a moment earlier in the day for which I will never be awarded spouse of the year. My heart was being tugged in a million ways and none of it felt good.

It’s fair to say no one in my family had a particularly pleasant new year’s eve. Eventful, yes. Pleasant, absolutely not. 

It started inconspicuously the previous night when Mr G complained of a headache as we hopped into bed. He took some panadol and we both assumed it would pass. Not so. In the middle of the night I was awake feeding Miss L and Mr G was still uncomfortable and unable to sleep. I sent him upstairs to the spare room thinking a room away from our feeding infant might help his slumber. Not so.  

Early the following morning he came in and asked for more panadol. This is where I hang my head in shame. I was feeding Miss L while also trying to entertain Miss I. Mr G wanted more panadol but it was upstairs. At this point I may have snapped a little and suggested he could have got it himself considering he was just up there. In my very weak defence I was sleep deprived and irritable and hadn’t contemplated that Mr G was suffering from anything more sinister than a headache. Imagine my disgrace when I later learned my poor husband was actually in the throes of meningitis? It was exquisitely painful; his head at the time and my heart forever afterwards. The fact I did actually retrieve and administer the panadol did nothing to quell my remorse. I didn’t do either graciously.

There is a special kind of regret reserved for moments when you treat someone you love more than anything in the entire world badly and it is compounded when that moment coincides with the exact moment they quite reasonably need kindness and love more than ever. It is then compounded exponentially when they are lying in an ambulance and you are horrified that it might be the last meaningful exchange they remember.

So. That was a fun car trip. I rarely entertain morbid thoughts but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t as Dad and I drove to Grafton hospital. 2013 was not looking remotely enticing.

After an eternity the CT results came back clear at which point they performed a lumbar puncture. That confirmed what the doctors had suspected; Mr G had meningitis. The initial results were not conclusive about it being viral or bacterial so he was treated for both. He was kept in hospital for a few more days and as all manner of drugs were pumped through his body he slowly regained some colour and vigour. He is already feeling much better and with a couple of weeks’ rest he will hopefully make a thorough and speedy recovery.

The whole experience shook me to the core at a time when, frankly, my core was more flimsy than firm. In one of life’s nifty twists of irony, the afternoon before Mr G’s headache came on, I had a mini-meltdown. Eight weeks' of broken sleep and feeding, on top of Christmas, daily beach trips and nightly social activities was getting to me. Mr G and I decided the following day I would do nothing except stay home, read and feed Miss L as required.

Obviously that didn’t happen. The next few days were tough; driving between Yamba and Grafton, worrying about Mr G, wrangling Miss I, feeding Miss L and wondering how on earth I could keep myself sane enough to continue doing it all for the foreseeable future. Fortunately we were surrounded by a hoard of family and friends, all of whom were a tremendous source of help and support. Even still, it was hard with a capital H.

The day we took Miss L home from hospital I remember thinking to myself, ‘Right, this is the bit when life is about to get really real.’ I knew two kids was not for the fainthearted and I wondered if I was up to the task. Since that day I haven’t had time to contemplate it; the reality of the task is you just keep going. Life did get pretty real back in November but not nearly as real as it felt last week. Life with two small children and a husband sick in hospital is as real and daunting as my life has ever felt. The upside, of course, is that things can only get better. At least I’m sure they will soon. 

I hope your break was less eventful than mine and that you greeted 2013 with more enthusiasm than I did. I can’t finish this without sharing one piece of advice. If anyone you love, or even like, ever asks you to get them panadol, get it. And give it to them with a hug and a kiss.

10 comments:

Amy said...

Hi G
Just read your blog and don't know how u did it, my heart skipped a few beats and I will forever be more sympathetic to the man flu. I have cut & pasted a text I sent day 2 of 2013 fortunately a lighter version of the predicament of two kids.

My morning so far!!! Morgi wouldn't get out of bed because he wanted Zac to lift him out (who is at work) willow is screaming in the other room to get out! We all finally get downstairs, morgi does the biggest poo ever runs down his legs, change him wrap him in a towel I have a shower while he has a bath, willow back to screaming in her cot. Get out pick up willow who spews all over me. Feed willow, finally get her to sleep, decide to go play with morgi in his room, walk in and step in poo looks like I missed a lot. Go outside to get mop, go to fill bucket and while taking hose off realise someone has left on and in explodes all over me, outfit change number 3 for the day!!! Why doesn't anyone post this on Facebook. Happy new year mums hopefully it can only get better ; ) xoxoxo

Ironically enough, that was the day I decided to get back on FB. Surprisingly enough I was able to read your blog cause both kids have had a 2 hour sleep together, Sadly I should be cleaning but couldn't ignore the invite that my couch extended - good day in the Sharma house. Look forward to catching up soon. xo Amy

Nici said...

Oh that's a tough start to the year. The compassion, kindness and understanding that you can develop for each other during these really difficult situations are the elements that strengthen a relationship. Good luck for the new year.

AC said...

Oh G, that sounds awful and v scary. So glad to hear Mr G is on the mend. Sending much love to you all. XxxA

Anonymous said...

Oh dear G, that's an awful way to start the year .. Am so glad Mr G is on the mend and hope you are able to grab some downtime at some point very soon. Sometimes I think these sorts of events, scary as they are, remind us what's important. Hope the rest of 2013 is only filled with joyous events for you all. ( and for what it's worth I think you're a Super Mum! ) Take care. X

Aussiemum said...

Oh my!!! And I thought I was doing it tough with a toddler, a newborn and fifo husband. Rest assured, my husband would have received the exact same treatment at that particular point in time. Honestly, you can only stretch yourself so far, and even with a headache he was probably (from your point of view) the most capable out of the four of you, to get the Panadol.

Thank the universe he's recovering and yes, things can only get better from here. Best wishes to you all.

Nicole said...

Oh G! How terrible - I am so sorry to hear about this and very glad that Mr G is recovering now. You are my new hero! Lots of love and massive hugs from Oxford. Nic.x

Tia Condon said...

Women are the worst at blaming themselves for things that happen to their partner and their children. Tiredness and stress make us do and say things we all regret. Being able to say sorry is the important lesson to learn and an extremely important one to teach our kids too. Continue being the generous, loving person you are and celebrate the outcome, don't dwell on the negatives. X

Erin Condon said...

I'm with Mum G, don't be so hard on yourself. Thinking of you all. Please let me know when you're back in Sydney and I'll be on your doorstep immediately for babysitting/wine/a hug/whatever you need. xo

Not Another Blogging Mother said...

Thank you all for the messages of support. Mr G is feeling better and better every day and I'm feeling much more relaxed about life again. I promise I am not beating myself up for my spousely-transgression. If I'd been lying by a pool, reading Hello! and sipping a G & T whilst suggesting he fetch his own medication I'd be doing a little navel-gazing now but I wasn't being callous. It was just unfortunate that I wasn't at my absolute nicest at that point in time. Fortunately I am usually very nice so it was an aberration. Plus I still have substantial wife-credits in the marriage bank from when I lived as a single mother for three months. Remember that??? G

Kate Moore said...

Look, I think you're done for the year. The only way is up. Surely? You've bolted early but the bad stuff is done and dusted. Put on your dancin' shoes, lady, it's good times from here on in.